How do you incorporate Couchsurfing into your life?
A short video explaining how you participate in the Couchsurfing community could win you the trip of a lifetime!
There is no right or wrong way to participate in Couchsurfing – it can mean different things to different people and that’s what makes it beautiful. To uncover the different ways members incorporate Couchsurfing into their lives, and celebrate the members making Couchsurfing a positive and welcoming community, we’re bringing you the 2017 “This is How I Couchsurf” contest.
Contest entrants will submit one video in response to the prompt “How do you Couchsurf?” This can be any type of video showing and/or explaining your experience with Couchsurfing, whether that is through hosting, surfing, or attending a Couchsurfing event or Hangout.
Sorry, the submission period has now closed.
Video Submission Requirements
All video submissions must be submitted and uploaded to your own Youtube channel on September 15, 2017 at 12:00am PST. Videos that are visible prior to September 15,2017 will be disqualified. To ensure that your video qualifies, you can upload your video ahead of time and schedule your video to publish on the correct date and time.
- If you don’t currently have a Youtube channel, here are directions on how to create one.
- See here for information on how to schedule your video to be published on September 15,2017 at 12:00am PST.
- Be in between 2 – 3 minutes in length
- Include your face and/or voice in the video
- Be original content produced by you
- Include this video or image of the Couchsurfing logo at the beginning and/or end of your video
- Be one of the following file types: MOV (.mov), 3GP (.3gp, .3g2, .3gpp), MPEG-4 (.mp4), FLV (.flv), AVI (.avi), MPEGS (.mpg), WMV (.wmv)
Official Contest Rules:
ENTRY: No purchase necessary to enter or win. Contestants will enter by filling out the above form and uploading their video to Youtube by September 15, as described above in the section Video Submission Requirements.
WINNER SELECTION: The Couchsurfing Community and the public will be able to vote for their favorite videos on Youtube by “liking” their favorite submissions. The 10 submissions with the most votes will be considered Finalists. The Couchsurfing team will then select their favorite video to award the Grand Prize to.
VOTING PERIOD: The voting period extends for 10 days from 00:00 PST on 9/15 to 23:59 PST on 9/25. The Top 10 Videos with the Most ‘Likes’ on Youtube will then make it to the final round. The Grand Prize and Runner Up will be voted on by the Couchsurfing staff and winners will be notified as soon as the selection is completed.
PRIZES: The Grand Prize winner will receive up to $2000 USD in plane tickets for their next Couchsurfing adventure.
WINNER NOTIFICATION: Winners will be notified within 14 days after the determination date. Inability to contact a winner may result in disqualification and selection of an alternate winner.
GENERAL CONDITIONS: a. Participants hereby grant Couchsurfing a non-exclusive, perpetual, worldwide license to broadcast, publish, store, reproduce, distribute, syndicate, and otherwise use and exhibit the Submission (along with their names, voices, performance and/or likenesses) in all media now known and later come into being for purposes of trade or advertising without further compensation. Participants represent and warrant that they have full legal right, power and authority to grant Couchsurfing the foregoing license and if applicable, have secured all necessary rights from any participants in, and contributors to, their Submission in order to grant such a license. b. Couchsurfing is under no obligation to use any Submission or return the Submissions to participants.
USE OF CONTEST INFORMATION: All entries become the property of Couchsurfing. Couchsurfing reserves the right to use any and all information related to the contest, including submissions provided by the contestants, for editorial, marketing and any other purpose, unless prohibited by law.
CONDUCT: All contest participants agree to be bound by these Official Rules. Couchsurfing, in its sole discretion, reserves the right to disqualify any person it finds to be tampering with the entry process, the operation of its web site or is otherwise in violation of these rules.
LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY: Couchsurfing is not responsible for late, lost or misdirected email or for any computer, online, telephone or technical malfunctions that may occur. If for any reason, the contest is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention or technical failures of any sort, Couchsurfing may cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the contest. Entrants further agree to release Couchsurfing from any liability resulting from, or related to participation in the contest.
Submissions must not:
- Contain material which is (or promotes activities which are) sexually explicit, obscene, pornographic, violent, self-mutilating (e.g., relating to murder, the sales of weapons, cruelty, abuse, etc.), discriminatory (based on race, sex, religion, natural origin, physical disability, sexual orientation or age), illegal (e.g. underage drinking, substance abuse, computer hacking, etc.), offensive, threatening, profane, or harassing;
- Include mention or performance of any copyrighted media production including but not limited to music, films, books, television programming, etc., or identifying descriptions of any media property.
- Contain material that violates or infringes another’s rights, including but not limited to material that violates privacy, publicity or intellectual property rights, or that constitutes copyright infringement. Without limiting the foregoing, Video Submissions must not include third party trademarks, logos, insignia, location signage, photographs, artwork, or sculptures. Use music that isn’t originally written, performed and produced by you, the Entrant. We’re not saying this because we don’t love music; we do, we really do! It’s because we don’t want to violate the copyright of musicians and artists. All music featured in any video must be available to publicize and broadcast on a license-free, no compensation basis.
- Include third parties, including but not limited to minors, celebrities and friends who have not expressly authorized Entrants to display their image, likeness or voice in any submitted video or otherwise use such image, likeness or voice in accordance with these Official Rules.